Being overweight: leads to several cancers
Being overweighed scales up the risks for the heart! But, are you aware; the bodyweight plays a vital role in maintaining overall health condition? People across the world are worried about the condition of unhealthy distribution of body fat.
Overweighed people have higher risks of serious health conditions including high blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, and heart diseases! American Cancer Society declared after research; obese can be responsible for around 8% of all type of cancers! The association of obese with increased risks of cancer is indeed a matter to get worried!
How being overweighed increases the risks of cancer?
Different studies explored the possible reasons for the risks of obesity linked with scaling up the chances of increasing cancer.
- The increasing level of insulin may scale up the chances to develop cancer. The high level of insulin promotes the development of the kidney, colon, prostate and endometrial cancers.
- Low-level of chronic inflammation is common in people with obesity which is another reason behind increased risks of cancer. Low-level inflammation in obese people causes DNA damages increasing the risks of developing cancer.
- The fat tissues in the body produce a high amount of estrogen which drives the development of specific types of cancers. The fat tissues or adipose tissues increases the risks of breast, ovarian, endometrial and certain other types of cancers.
- The fat cells in the body also promote the growth of cancer cell growth which divides to cause a tumor.
The types of cancers associated with being overweighed
Being overweighed scales up the chances of different types of cancers like breast, uterine, colorectal, kidney, pancreatic, head and neck, esophageal, prostate, endometrium, thyroid and gallbladder. An increased amount of body fat augments the risks of different types of cancers!
- Breast cancer: Obese women have 20-40% increase in risks of developing breast cancer in comparison to normal weighing women. The risks are higher in women who never underwent menopausal hormone therapy or therapy for tumors expressing hormone receptors. Men also have risks of developing breast cancer.
- Colorectal cancer: Overweighing people are more likely to develop colorectal cancer in comparison to normal weighing people.
- Kidney cancer: People with obesity develop the risks of renal cell cancer affecting the kidneys. It also develops the risks of developing high blood pressure which scales up the chances of affecting the kidneys.
- Pancreatic cancer: People with overweight develop the risks of pancreatic cancer more in comparison to normal weighing people.
- Esophageal adenocarcinoma: Overweighing people develop esophageal adenocarcinoma- a type of cancer, which is less likely in normal weighing people.
- Endometrial cancer: Endometrial cancer is a type of cancer developed in the lining of the uterus. Obese women are in risks of developing this cancer four times more in comparison to normal weighing women. Extremely obese women are in high risks of developing this cancer.
- Thyroid cancer: The overweighing persons with higher BMI (5-unit increase in BMI) have risks associated with increasing the risks of thyroid cancer.
- Gallbladder cancer: People with overweight have 20% increased chances of developing gallbladder cancer. Overweighing people have 60% increased chances of developing gallbladder cancer. The risks of developing gallbladder cancer are higher in women in comparison to men.
Other types of cancers associated with obesity are Gastric cardia cancer, Liver cancer, Multiple myelomas, Meningioma, and Ovarian cancer.
It is wrong to state; obese people will definitely develop cancer! But, overweighing people will more likely develop cancer in comparison to healthy weighing people. A person can lower the risks of developing cancer and several other health issues by maintaining a healthy weight. Losing a considerable amount of weight is rewarding for obese people.
Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp